Wednesday, March 11, 2015

"I will only ask God to forgive them"


As an Arab-American, I grew up around my Christian Arab relatives, a vibrant, loud, and colorful bunch! My father, grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins spoke Arabic around me all the time growing up, and to me it is a beautiful sound. 

So, to hear this 10-year-old Iraqi girl forgive her ISIS persecutors in the familiar language of my own extended family, and then to hear her speak my religious language as well -- the language of Christ, forgiveness, trust, and love -- well, it hit me at my core! My heart nearly burst as I listened to her, so pure and innocent in the face of untold suffering. This reporter, this little girl -- these could be my relatives. I know these people in my heart, and I love them. And I am so proud of Myriam. 

My friends, please never forget that our Christian faith began in the Middle East. It is truly our home, even as we are being displaced. 

Watch our brave little sister in Christ, pray for her and all the Christians in Iraq, and emulate her:






But Jesus called for them and said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not stop them; for it is to such as these that the kingdom of God belongs.  -- Luke 18:16








6 comments:

  1. A beautiful way to start my day. What would the world be like without children? Faith overcomes evil. I will pray for her. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kifik Habibti
    Leila, thanks for posting this. What a sweet little love monkey.
    ...to them the Kingdom belongs!
    These babes are our brothers and sisters in Christ and need our prayers. God be with them. St. Joseph watch over them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing that - it was beautiful. Prayers for Myriam - and Sandra! And for all our brothers and sisters in Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my! I was crying by the end of her interview. So beautiful! What a great example she is to the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen this several times, and every.single.time I can't help but bow my head in both humility and appreciation for her pure example.

    God bless this little girl, her family, and all those suffering at the hands of ISIS. May Our Lady melt their hearts enough for the Spirit's gift of understanding to permeate their souls.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one of the most touching things I have ever seen! The faith of this young child is inspiring! She is so Christ-like! St. Faustina says we are most like God when we forgive others.

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE, when commenting, do not hit "reply" (which is the thread option). Instead, please put your comment at the bottom of the others.

To ensure that you don't miss any comments, click the "subscribe by email" link, above. If you do not subscribe and a post exceeds 200 comments, you must hit "load more" to get to the rest.