Friday, July 15, 2011

Quick Takes!




1. Steve's guest post is now the most-viewed post on this blog (by far). Yes it is humbling that the most popular post on my own blog is not mine, ha ha! No, seriously, I am happy to cede that position to others. In fact, Monday's guest post is sort of the female version of Steve's, and it blew me away.… Stay tuned.


2. I was finally able to read my friend Devin Rose's new book, If Protestantism is True, from cover to cover (or the Kindle equivalent of that)! It is an easy read, and it so clearly lays out that the Catholic Church is the Church of history, and that her doctrinal and moral teachings throughout the centuries are unchanging. Protestant readers have been impressed by how charitably Devin discusses contentious matters. Any Protestant reading the Bubble should also be reading Devin's book and/or blog.



3. Speaking of good books, I've had a few readers request that I create a permanent blog page with my book recommendations. I have been meaning to do just that for some time, so look for it in the next couple of weeks, God willing.



4. Every time I try to describe International Planned Parenthood's Exclaim! (their new document on the "sexual rights" of children), the only words I can think of are "vomit-inducing". If you have the time to wait for the pdf to download, you can read it for yourself and feel like vomiting, too. Why isn't the sexualization of children a crime? Planned Parenthood's entire existence is an offense against innocence, on so many levels.



5. Switching topics now from filth to purity: If you have ever been curious about a cloistered nun's Profession of Vows, check this out, from the Passionist Nuns of Saint Joseph Monastery in Kentucky:


The pictures of this mystical, spiritual marriage just take my breath away! Look at the the new Bride of Christ's face: She is glowing with grace and peace and joy! It is a peace that surpasses all understanding, a peace that the world cannot give. Deo gratias!



6. To any Phoenix residents reading, 1st Way of Maricopa County is in desperate need of baby formula and diapers (sizes 3, 4 and 5). If you are able to bring in any such donations this summer, they would be most grateful! The support they provide for women in crisis and their unborn children is amazing. God will bless you abundantly for your generosity to 1st Way.



7. I just really like good quotes:

"The modern habit of saying, 'Every man has a different philosophy; this is my philosophy and it suits me' -- the habit of saying this is mere weak mindedness. A cosmic philosophy is not constructed to fit a man; a cosmic philosophy is constructed to fit a cosmos. A man can no more possess a private religion than he can possess a private sun and moon." --G. K. Chesterton


Thanks to Jen for hosting!

.

19 comments:

  1. You're awesome.

    I have nothing particularly exciting to say, but the idea of being the first to comment on one of your posts (even if it is only a Quick Takes) was too much to pass up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You read my mind! I was just about to sort through all the comments on the last post to find that IPPF link, because I couldn't access it from my phone, and viola! Here it is! Preparing myself to open it...

    I wish I'd have known about 1st Way last week. I would have dropped some things off!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your quick takes...and all your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started reading the book you recommended, "What We Can't Not Know" on my new toy, a Kindle and it is really good. He mentioned the "sliding scale of personhood" in the beginning and everything I've read so far is so well explained and perfectly right on! Thanks for that recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, guys! :)

    Stacy, isn't it great? I want to read his newer stuff! I think he wrote WWCNK before he became Catholic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just brought home some new "old" books to read - but am currently enjoying Chesterton's The Ball and the Cross. In commenting on #4, it is not only vomit-inducing but brought on one of my migraines (sorry, I get passionate about this subject). Also, loved Steve's guest post - have always felt this way - but it is nice to hear it voiced from someone who "carries that particular cross". We all have our own "crosses" to bear and I wish God thought a little less of me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That pamphlet is disgusting. Not that I'm surprised, but wow... I love the part about human rights. Really? What about the unborn humans you murder on a day to day basis?? Blah!!! PP is pure evil.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read the exclaim! thing. And there are things that I think that most could agree with. Like with wanting to stop forced/child marriage.

    I think the part that whould annoy parents the most is the "removal of parental approval" part. Even my pretty liberal parents whould not be over the moon about that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read a tiny bit of Exclaim, and stopped when I came to "young people's sexual rights are more complex than those of adults because adults deny young people's sexuality". Please, having everything from alcohol to anti-perspirant to hamburgers pushed on us by means of sexual advertisements, I'm pretty sure that modern adults don't deny that we young people have sexualities, they actively exploit them (well, some do). Nice try, Planned Parenthood, you're not fooling me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kara, exactly. And Chelsea, that's right, parental rights are crucial.

    PP may have some truth in it's materials, but that does not negate the pure evil of the bulk of what they are promoting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think that there are somethings teenagers need to be able to do things without parental consent. Like in situations where the teen whould get kicked out of their house for getting pregnant. Or testing for STI's, which a teenager might put off it they are too embarrassed to tell their parents.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the tip about 1st Way, I'll try to drop off some donations later this week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'll definitely have to check out Devin's book. And the G.K. Chesterton quote you ended with is right along the lines of the Pope's discussion of truth vs. relativism in the political sphere. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey, Devin Rose's new book is on Kindle for only $2.99! I just downloaded it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Whoa....I just skimmed the Exclaim document.....I'll admit my jaw was on the floor through most of it. Is it trying to say that parents don't have a right to try to limit and direct their kids in this area?!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Chirp, yep, that's what I take it to mean. It's shocking, but that's PP for you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi, Leila -

    Here is an article that I thought might interest you in your contention that there is only one objective truth. We have this conversation all of the time, but I thought to put it on this post since you quoted Chesterton.

    The quote:

    While 51 percent of evangelical Christians did not believe in absolute truth in an earlier survey, the percentage escalated to 62 in 1994. In 1999, it jumped to 78 percent. “You know what it is now?” asked McDowell. “One of the most staggering statistics in history of the church… 91 percent said there is no absolute truth apart from myself.”

    Another study, added McDowell, showed that only six percent of all teenagers in America, including Christians, said there isn’t any truth apart from myself.


    And the link: http://www.christianpost.com/news/apologist-josh-mcdowell-internet-the-greatest-threat-to-christians-52382/

    They are interesting statistics.

    ReplyDelete
  18. MaiZeke, interesting stats, but irrelevant. Objective truth is not determined by a poll. Truth is still True, whether everyone believes it or no one believes it. That's the cool thing about Truth. :)

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE, when commenting, do not hit "reply" (which is the thread option). Instead, please put your comment at the bottom of the others.

To ensure that you don't miss any comments, click the "subscribe by email" link, above. If you do not subscribe and a post exceeds 200 comments, you must hit "load more" to get to the rest.