Sunday, February 26, 2012

Matchmaking! Three Catholic men and a serious offer from Alaska

Okay guys, Sundays -- even in Lent -- are days of rejoicing! Marriage and family are icons of the Holy Trinity, and I can't think of anything more joyful than watching beautiful Christian families form.

As some of you may remember, I've attempted a little matchmaking before, and so I thought that this lovely Sunday would be a good time to introduce you to more good Catholic men who were brought to my attention after my little plea (check out #6).

I'm going to profile three men today, plus post a special invitation/opportunity at the end. Please carefully follow the instructions if you are interested in contacting these great guys.

Disclaimer: I do not know any of these men personally.



+++++++

Josh, 28 years old

Josh

What his sister said:

Josh is 28, a firefighter, and former marine. He goes to mass every Sunday and would go more frequently if his schedule allowed. He has a devotion to St. Joseph. He's very much an all-American kind of guy. He loves history, has a very irreverent sense of humor, and is an AMAZING cook. He's not a theology wonk, but he's a good, orthodox, solid, prayerful Catholic. He's got a brilliant mind, but "intellectuals" irritate him. My brother is a catch. If you know of any young women who have a good sense of humor and are really, really laid back and cheerful, let me know!

What Josh wrote to me when I contacted him:

I am 28. I live in Baltimore. I am a career fire fighter and absolutely love my work. I have been doing it for five years now. I also spent 6 years in the Marines and deployed to Iraq and Africa a couple times. I am a every sunday type of Catholic and have a devotion to St. Joseph and St. Michael. I got hired on St. Josephs feast so I think that is pretty cool!! I am very regular sorta dude I guess you could say. I love cooking, bbq, soccer, hockey, fishing, crabbing, being handy, anything outdoorsy. I love history and would love to finish my degree in it someday soon. I love visiting historical sites and reading history books. Especially Naval history and The American Revolution. I love to stay active and work out. I gotta to be able to function well at work. I have a goofy sense of humor that gets me through work. I have to be around others who have a good sense of humor too. My family is hilarious, very close, and more supportive than anyone could ever imagine. 

As for my past: I had a bit of a rough and rowdy young adulthood. Occasionaly got into trouble and didn't always put my faith first. I had a girlfriend who got pregnant unexpectedly. Where we both were in our lives at the time and the fact that I was looking at depolyments and our future together was very uncertain we decided to place our son for adoption. It was the most difficult decision that I could ever have imagined to make. It was made out of love for him though. We placed him with a devout Catholic family who we became close with through the process. He is now 5 years old and has 2 brothers. I get letters and photos and keep in touch with his family. God was very evident in the situation. Even though I deeply miss him I have great peace over the decision that God led us to. I can answer and questions about my past very openly. So that is not an issue at all for me. I guess other stuff people need to know is that I have a decent collection of traditional american tattoos. I know that can bug people sometimes! haha. Wow that's a lot longer than I planned. Anyways like I said feel free to fire away with questions. Thanks again for putting my stuff out there! Take care!

If you would like to contact Josh, please send your message and a recent photo to littlecatholicbubble (at) gmail (dot) com, and please put "JOSH" in the subject line. I will forward all emails to him.



+++++++


Jim, 24 years old

Jim


My name is Jim, a 24-year-old hailing from the relatively small town of Monroe, Michigan. I am currently a graduate student in biblical studies at the University of Dayton in Dayton, Ohio. I am in my second year, aiming to graduate in August and move immediately into a Ph.D. program in biblical studies--still waiting on hearing about where! I never grow tired of learning theology; thankfully, the Church will always continue to provide!

Outside of theology, I have played cello for nearly thirteen years (I am not nearly as good as what that number might indicate!), though I primarily play it for Mass nowadays. As far as employment goes, I am a graduate assistant as well as a writing tutor. My other interests are what one might call "nerdy," so I have a weakness for science-fiction and fantasy. (This may or may not have had an effect on my interest in non-canonical scriptural texts...!) Really, though, I feel that any topic and any activity can be interesting, and so I'm always ready to have a good conversation in which I can learn something!

These sorts of things are always so difficult to write, but I hope that this gives you some idea of who I am. :)

If you would like to contact Jim, please send your message and a recent photo to littlecatholicbubble (at) gmail (dot) com, and please put "JIM" in the subject line. I will forward all emails to him.

+++++++


Pete, 33 years old

Pete


I live in the area of Princeton, New Jersey, and I grew up in Richmond, VA. I have no problem meeting people, but it's difficult finding single faith filled women since my transformation. I consider myself a fervent Catholic who has a very close relationship with God. I am involved in a charismatic parish, where I volunteer and mentor to teens. I give my witness speech to various Protestant and Catholic churches, and am working with an editor on a memoir. I'm a grad student who is working on a post-masters degree in counseling and am trying to better the world one person at time by empowering others just as I had done with myself with the help of God's love and grace. My ultimate goal is to open a private practice with other Christian wellness professionals such as a nutritionist and a chiropractor I know well. I do however, know that God might have another plan and I trust in Him. 

I'm an adventurous extrovert with a sometimes deep side who fits the description of the "Prodigal Son" to a tee. I love life, the outdoors and people. I'm driven and ambitious yet laid back at the same time if that makes any sense. I've been told I'm the first person people come to when they need something done, want to talk, or need a good laugh. I've done my share of partying when I was younger and got that out of my system. I enjoy some downtime too, reading, praying, and writing. I am into fitness and health, and love to mountain bike, kayak, hike, and hit the gym. I can tell you just about anything that has to do with nutrition, enjoy cooking, but also like to enjoy a good meal out. Between my job, classes, internships, and activities I still believe in having balance and take time for myself, family, and friends. I'm an honest man who doesn't play games and is on fire for God. I just have to say that if you aren't passionate about Christ, then we will not work out. Nice to meet you and God bless!


If you would like to contact Pete, please send your message and a recent photo to littlecatholicbubble (at) gmail (dot) com, and please put "PETE" in the subject line. I will forward all emails to him.

+++++++


And a special offer to go where the men are...



Finally, I received this intriguing email from a woman named April, in Fairbanks, Alaska:

I know it’s a long shot, but in Alaska there are plenty of good Catholic single men. As a matter of fact, I say the very opposite thing you said all of the time. I wish I knew a few good Catholic single women. An Alaska vacation may be in order. We are a missionary diocese in Fairbanks, so maybe your ladies would like to come up and enjoy the midnight sun and teach vacation Bible school or something. I know more than a few people who came here once and never left. This is a serious offer.

If any Catholic lady out there is interested in such an adventure -- where the single Catholic men and plentiful and looking for good women -- please email me at littlecatholicbubble (at) gmail (dot) com. I will put you directly in touch with April, who can answer all your questions.

+++++++

Now, wasn't that fun???




.



31 comments:

  1. I feel so old all of a sudden. I'm sure there are younger women who be happy to get to know these men.

    One bad thing about Alaska is that it's dark a lot during the winter. I would find that to be a problem. Who wants a sad, lethargic woman?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lena, ha ha, I had asked for young men, ages 24 to 35, I think. Do you want to give me your age preference? I'll look into it! ;)

    True, Alaska is not for everyone! I have to live in AZ for the sun! (My four years in Boston about killed me.) But, I think some women can handle it. I think of Sarah Palin, and she doesn't seem sad or lethargic. And a hunky Catholic husband would put a spring in one's step, even in the cold and dark, no?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, a hunky Catholic husband would certainly put a spring in one's step. Oh yes indeed.

    I think it's okay to match make in this age group now. I bet you'll get a number of email regarding these men, and that will keep you busy. Then you could matchmake for an older age. I'm in my mid-40s. I feel much more "together" at this age. Plus I finally figured out which fashions work better for me. Strange, but I feel more attractive at this age too. I go to Mass with my dad (he can't drive because he's old and blindish), and if there are any available men there I hope they realize I am with my dad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I followed my husband here to Alaska 7 years ago. I'll never regret it. Live seems simpler here, clearer. Summers are gorgeous, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, you have me intrigued! We just moved to Washington State this year, and the darker winters were a bit of an adjustment to me. But now I am noticing the light rebounds much more quickly here too. I knew this intellectually, but it still surprised me :). My husband went to University of Alaska Fairbanks for a year before eventually landing at NAU in Arizona and meeting me, and he always speaks of Alaska fondly. I think he would move there in a heartbeat...I've been a bit more hesitant but, the more I learn, the more I want to go!

      Delete
    2. Hey, I think I know you!! :) If only I had known "Alaska" was the place to be, maybe our lives would have ended up in the SAME state. ;)

      Leila - this is awesome work you are doing here! It's such a tough world out there for singles and we need more devout Catholic families!

      Delete
    3. Elizabeth, I definitely recommend you visit Alaska! Don't get me wrong, the winters can be harsh, and travel to the lower 48 can be a pain, but there is so much less of the "hustle and bustle" and superficialities (if that is a word) of other areas of the country. And the people here are good.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm..sharing this post with a friend who's currently looking, and is an incredibly faithful Catholic woman. Love it.

    This post made my day. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It would be fun to be single again & head up to Alaska. Umm..come back to earth Sunshine and go feed your baby!!!

    Great post Leila- I can't wait to see pics from the first Little Bubble wedding!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, this just made my day eh!!! I will start looking for a proper wedding hat to wear when I view Bubble (matchmaker) wedding posts......This will be as fun and entertaining as watching Downton Abbey eh ;p
    They all sound like such nice young men.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this!!!! I have some single Canadian friends, could you hook them up? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. JellyBelly, men or women?? If women, have them email these guys, ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The friends I'm thinking of are women. Unfortunately, these wonderful bachelors are a little far for them.

      Delete
  11. Wow! I don't even have the words for this Leila. You are running your own Catholic Online Dating Site. I too was once set-up by Leila, but still single. I was expecting some great treatise on the importance of Lent on this 1st Sunday in Lent, but what I got was - http://catholicpimping.com - LOL! (this entire comment has been sent with humor and sarcasm).

    ReplyDelete
  12. What about my younger 26 year old sister ... beautiful, natural blonde ... a runner, outdoorsy ... did I say beautiful?? She'd look very cute alongside Pete. Very much single, in LOVE with Christ, is strongly pro-marriage, not Catholic (yet) but is against contraception, is pro-life, and loves to go to mass :) he he. Can you tell I am trying to find her a Catholic man? She is devoted to helping refugees and lives in Nashville, TN. She's on Facebook, let me know if you are interested, Pete, and we can introduce:) Leila has my info.

    ReplyDelete
  13. oops just realized I am supposed to email you ... okay will do.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What fun Leila! God works in mysterious ways. Remember when we were praying for a fine young man for my daughter? And now he'll be baptized and confirmed at Easter Vigil and they'll be married most likely in September (they really want the Feast of the Archangels - it's getting the church that is turning into the issue!). Maybe she has a friend? :) PS I changed my profile name (klh57) just so you know!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you Leila for continuing to promote the Catholic Family. HA! SUNSHINE. That is so funny.

    Good luck guys...I am sure we will be seeing baby pictures soon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh my goodness... I am proud to say that I was at the other end of one of your matchmaking schemes! very fun...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sent this to a certain relation of mine...bravo, Leila. Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Josh's story about his son, and how he handled it and learned from the experience is mind-blowing to me. I know exactly zero young men who have that kind of maturity at his age or younger. Just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mary, I totally agree that Josh's response was utterly grace-filled. The response of a real man.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Leila,

    I am so glad you are doing this! I suggested Pete contact you. :-) Glad he did! I attend the same church as Pete--he is a great guy. Smart, funny and caring.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I hope you are still doing this in about 8 years when my daughter is old enough to start dating! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. As a nearly-twenty-two raised-Lutheran woman whose dating history has worked out strangely to be alternating between Catholics and atheists, I have to thank every single Catholic mother and father out there for raising their sons to be good, responsible men. I have yet to meet one who wasn't courteous and respectful.

    ReplyDelete
  23. They sure seem like good men. While they search for Ms. Right, they might get a kick out of this young lady. Her e-harmony intro video = cat love emotional over spill... hilarity and weirdness. Try to convince me you won't watch this on repeat continuously and hum it in the oddest moments of your day. Just try....


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP4NMoJcFd4

    ReplyDelete
  24. How are these guys not snatched up? :) Just goes to show how good looking it looks to love the Church!

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE, when commenting, do not hit "reply" (which is the thread option). Instead, please put your comment at the bottom of the others.

To ensure that you don't miss any comments, click the "subscribe by email" link, above. If you do not subscribe and a post exceeds 200 comments, you must hit "load more" to get to the rest.